Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Anorexia Sucks

This isn't a post to debate the etiology of Anorexia.....  Biological or Sociological.  I actually had a conversation recently with someone who described it as a "life-style".

Bullshit.  No one chooses this. 

It might start out for some people as an innocent diet, a way to get healthy, maybe lose a few pounds.  But much like alcoholism, soon she chooses you.

I'm not going to fill this page tonight with science or studies to educate whomever might stumble across my words (I will do that later). 

I just want to tell you what Anorexia sucks:

She sucks away all of your self-esteem.
She sucks away your ability to reason or think clearly.
She sucks away the life from your eyes.
She sucks away your dignity.
She sucks away your ability to walk into a room with the confidence you once were filled with.
She sucks away your ability to be fully present in life.
She sucks away the voice you once used to assert and defend yourself.
She sucks away your desire to do things that once brought you joy.
She sucks away any relationship that threatens her very existence.
She promises to suck away your pain, only to temporarily numb all of your senses, leaving your life unrecognizable. Your soul as empty as your body.
She sucks your ability to pay attention to what's happening around you and to empathize.
She sucks away your family.
She sucks away your job.
She sucks away all of your anxiety (temporarily) so you start to believe she is the only one who will take care of your pain.
She sucks away your ability to sleep soundly for one Godforsaken night.
She sucks away the one true love of your life.
She almost sucked away my life permanently. 

Anorexia sucks.

It wasn't my choice to have Anorexia.  But it is my choice to recover. 

 "We acquire the strength of that which we have overcome." - Ralph Waldo Emmerson"

2 comments:

  1. She "Olivia" underestimated your strength to suck the GOOD things back into your life. I have complete faith in your ability to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom! There is no way I would even be on this path now if it wasn't for your determined and unwavering support. You have been my rock and ever my role-model for motherhood. I am so glad you are mine <3

    ReplyDelete